Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mui Bien!


We ate these fabulous enchiladas at our last enrichment night. They are sooo good! I made them for cinco de mayo yesterday and they were a hit! Just thought I would share...I have become quite food obsessed lately and love to cook! I think it's because of this fab blog called Picky Palate. Check it out! I made the best snickerdoodles...seriously! Then I made the black & white chippers from Paradise Bakery. They tasted the same! I love knowing a recipe will turn out! I have yet to make anything from picky palate that hasn't! Here is the recipe for the yummy enchiladas...they have cream cheese in them! Oh my! I have to say though that I used corn tortillas. It was my first time actually boiling chicken and frying tortillas! Usually I use canned chkn and use chkn broth for the tortillas.

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
6 chicken breasts- bone in and with skin
2 cloves garlic- minced
½ cube of butter
2 {4oz.} cans diced green chilies
2 ½ cups yellow onion-diced
1 large red bell pepper- diced
4 {3oz.} pkgs. Cream cheese-cubed
4 cups grated Monterey jack cheese- divided
Oil
25 flour tortillas {salad plate size}
1 ½ cups water
1 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1. Place the chicken breasts into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is cooked through.
{About 20 Minutes} Remove from water and set aside to cool. When cooled, remove skin and discard bones. Shred all breast meat and set aside.
2. In a fry pan put enough oil to fry tortillas and turn heat to medium. When oil is hot, dip each tortilla and turn once until tortilla is limp. About 4 seconds per side. Drain well on paper towels.
3. Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add green chilies, onions, red peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir for a few minutes until well combined. Reduce heat just a little. Add the cubed cream cheese and 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese. Stir constantly so cheeses won’t stick. As the cheeses melt, slowly add water until well combined. Stir in sour cream and continue stirring. Turn heat to low. Add shredded chicken and mix well. Remove pan from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a very large baking pan OR 2-9x13 inch pans. Spoon filling down the center of each tortilla. {About a heaping ¼ cup per tortilla} Roll up and place in pan {or pans} seam side down. Repeat until all tortillas are filled. Top enchiladas with remaining 2 cups of cheese. {You can add more cheese if you like.} Evenly pour cream over top of enchiladas. Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until golden and the center enchilada of pan is hot. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!

9 comments:

SunGood said...

HMMM! Cant wait to try the recipe! Love the mexicano music in the background, you are so festive!! I forgot to come over and get bikes! I am coming over today I promise I will get those things out of your guys' hair!

Shelley Goodman said...

I love a good new recipe! You are such a good cookin house wife, Casey would be jealous.

gena said...

Yummm! That sounds so good and not too spicey. Love the Ricky MArtin, Trevor loves to crank up the Puerto Rican music.

Unknown said...

way to be a homemaker!! did you have a diet coke with it, cause nothings better with mexican food than a large diet coke :) oh yeah, i forgot-- you're a quitter... blah blah blah. j/k. thanks for sharing the recipe! i'm making a dvd of Jesse's fake performance, whatever!!! he can hold one straight face then.

Mary Anne said...

umm..those sound so delicious I can hardly even stand it! thanks for sharing! I love new recipes!

Rachel Stewart said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo! The enchilladas are delicious. We had them a couple of weeks ago. When are we going to go play?

Stephanie said...

Those sound so good, I think I will make them tomorrow! Thanks for sharing. I just have to say how stinkin cute your little family is! You guys are just a good looking family:) I just love Kennedy's chubby cheeks! Can you tell I'm gettin a little baby hungry?!

Sassy said...

these sound yummy ... can't wait to try them!

Q Crew said...

I love your blog! So cute, and your girls are just adorable! Well, I'm obviously way behind...I'm just now checking this and you posted it like 3 weeks ago! Oh well...I kinda fell off the face of the blog world for a while, but I added the picky palate blog to my list of blogs to check. Those recipes look like they are YUM-O!